Sunday, September 6, 2009

Proverbs 22:6

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it"

Proverbs 22:6

This scripture was referenced in a message by Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Influence of Righteous Women." No matter what faith you belong to, this article stresses the importance of our roles as women and mothers. Here is a quote that brought me strength to the trying days, "to make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today... Some of us look forward to time in the future--salvation and exaltation in the world to come-- but today is part of eternity." (David O MCkay). I encourage all to read it here is the link if you are interested, http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=20f31a01e8d43210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

When I read the verse from Proverbs I chuckled to myself. Because 11yrs or so back we introduced our oldest to the Venus fly trap. We had found this little plant for sale at the local grocery store and bought him one. He was young and intrigued by the plants ability to eat bugs. Now Riley is a nature boy through and through, days were spent feeding and nurturing this little plant. Catching bugs and setting fruit out to rot so flies would gather as food was a necessity. Oh what fun and joy it brought to his life. For a long while after that every time we would go to the store we had to check to see if they had any Venus fly traps in. We could seldom find them. Once we thought of special ordering one, sounds crazy I know.

A few days ago my husband and I ran down to grab some bread and milk. Do you actually think that is all we would come home with? Well maybe if Jason had gone alone. We were headed down the produce isle towards the bread and there caught my eye a rather large display of Venus fly traps. As I showed them to Jason I said, "We need to get one of these for Milo." Milo is 7 about the same age as Riley was when we bought him one. We reminisced about Riley's excitement and how much fun he had. Milo was going to love this. We both were struck with the thought, "We had better get one for Riley too," because it was inevitable Riley, now 18, would want Milo's' plant. So we headed home with two. I was excited.


I became more excited to give Riley his plant. Upon arriving home I ran downstairs to give him his surprise. "No way! You are kidding me, where did you get it?", he said as he grabbed the plant and abandoned his girl friend to go in search for food. Riley's' excitement sparked his little brother and he watched him place a small cricket into one of the plants snares.
Yes, we have caught bugs and even set fruit out to rot. This weekend Riley left town and the only contact has been a text message saying, "Water my Venus fly trap."
You probably ask, so where is the religious link in my tale? It's not exactly a faith building tale either. Just a simple little tale of how something we had introduce to Riley so many years ago had planted a interest in him. This is true with everything we bring to our children's heart, thoughts and eyes. This is why after reading the verse I laughed. I am ever grateful for the joys our children can bring to us.

Milo is hooked, here sharing his plant at school. Showing his classmates how the plant snaps shut. He is so much like his older brother.


We also brought the snakes to share. However interestingly enough Jason cares for them now. Yet Riley caught lots of water snakes for Milo this summer.


"Q " our first snake. Oops Riley's!


Here is the 18 yr old chasing the ducks at grandma's. I don't think he'll ever grow up. Just kidding, he is a wonderful young man.






2 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

What a sweet post!

But, if we are going to be friends... I MUST warn you that I don't do snakes!!! REALLY!! I am terrified of them. Really, it seems to be a paralizing phobia. YIKES! Those pictures were scary enough for me.

I know, my poor boys. So far, they have been VERY understanding! :0)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Deb said...

What a nice post! Thanks for stopping by my blog. You keep good company, I hope we can visit again!

Deb